I really love this time of year – specifically because it’s when people are really motivated!! Everyone is setting their goals and chasing their dreams.
Unfortunately, the sad reality is that many people stop chasing those goals at the first sign of adversity and they go right back to the same old routine. Some people struggle with a need for perfection, others the need for instant gratification, while many just cannot be consistent for long periods of time. Essentially that’s what it comes down to, taking small steps forward – consistently over a period of time.
Many people get tripped up because they focus too much on the big picture! Let’s say it’s a weight loss goal of 50 pounds. You will be far more successful if you focus on 5lbs at a time, rather than obsessing over those 50lbs. If you commit to following a sensible diet and fitness plan for 6-12 months, you’re going to see progress there’s no doubt about it! But when people don’t get a 25lb weight loss in the first month, they get frustrated, lose interest and quit.
It doesn’t matter weather your goals are related to your health, finances, business or personal life, there are effective ways to approach your goals that will set you up for success. Here are some easy steps you can apply to your own goals to see a higher success rate.
1. Set your intention and timeline – Both of these are crucial first steps in goal setting! As I like to say, “Be specific because you’re placing your order with the universe!” When you are setting your intention, be super specific and I mean down to the last detail! This is also where you’ll set your target date. The universe needs to know if it’s a week, a month or a year! Again … be specific! Whether or not you hit that exact date is not relevant. This will give you a date to work towards and will allow you to lay your timeline out accordingly.
2. Break down your goal – When planning a road trip, most people select their destination and then map out their route. The same is true for any goal you set as well! You must first know where you want to get (the bigger picture) and then you can map out the steps it will take to get there. Break it down into small, manageable steps that will equal big long term changes.
3. Be patient! –This is another thing that many people struggle with. We live in a society that wants instant gratification and that’s just not how it works. If you are willing to take those consistent, small, manageable steps every single day – you WILL reach any goal you set … period!
4. Invest in yourself –There is no better investment than in yourself! Don’t just expect your dreams to fall into your lap. You have to grow into the person who can achieve the goals you’re setting. Once you’ve set your goal and broken down the steps, figure out what you need to learn to take those steps. Take your dreams seriously and put in the work to obtain them. Stay humble, open minded and be a sponge for knowledge. Never stop learning and growing!
5. Support & accountability –I believe support and accountability play a crucial role in any goal you set. You are going to hit bumps, have questions and doubt yourself on the road to reaching your goals. Surround yourself with people who will lift you up, remind you of your why and hold you accountable to what you said you want to accomplish. This could be in the form of a group, mentor, life coach or success partner.
When you commit to these 5 simple steps, you can achieve anything you set your mind too! If you struggle in any of these areas, it’s a great place to schedule a coaching session around. I’d be happy to support you in creating a solid plan that will work for YOU! Schedule your goal setting session or ask questions by clicking here.